Continuing our new series of chemical recipes, we bring you week 28 – Biuret Solution (C2H5N3O2)
Remember that when preparing any of our recipes, you should:
- Always wear appropriate PPE including eye protection and gloves.
- Always add acid to water (never water to acid).
- Use a fume cupboard.
- Always carry out a risk assessment when using any chemicals.
- Follow all recommended safety procedures and adhere to the label instructions, hazard warnings and local legislations.
- Dissolve 1.5g copper(II) sulphate-5-water and 6g potassium sodium tartrate in 500ml water.
- Stir in 375ml of 1M sodium hydroxide solution (CORROSIVE), stirring continuously.
- If a precipitate appears, add 1g potassium iodide, then dilute to 1000ml with water.
- Bottle and label as necessary. The solution is a deep blue colour.
Download the PDF recipe
Scan the QR codes for classroom experiments to follow with your biuret solution.